Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Oye Carnal

I read this poem in my HILD7C Chicano History class and fell in love with it. It's so strong and fights tirelessly against the double-standards in society in general and more specifically found in el Movimiento and Chicano/a culture.

Notes From a Chicana Co-ed
By Bernice Zamora

To cry that the gabacho
Is our oppressor is to shout
In abstraction, carnal
He no more oppresses us
Than you do now as you tell me
“It’s the gringo who oppresses you, Babe.”
You cry “the gringo is our oppressor.”
To the tune of $20,000 to $30,000
A year, brother, and I wake up
Alone each morning and ask,
“Can I feed my children today?”…

And when I mention
Your G.I. Bill, your
Ford Fellowship, your
Working wife, your
Three gabacha guisas
Then you ask me to
Write your thesis
You’re quick to shout,
“Don’t give me that
Women’s lib trip, mujer
That only divides us, and we have to work
Together for the movimiento
The gabacho is oppressing us!

Oye carnal, you may as well
Tell me that moon water
cures constipation, that
penguin soup prevents crudas
or that the Arctic Ocean is Menudo…

No comments:

Post a Comment