Monday, February 15, 2010

President's Day

Happy President's Day to those of you who get it off -- Happy Monday, to those who don't =D.

So I had some tough choices to make (not very tough) about the subject of today's post. I figured it should reallybe presidentially related in light of the holiday. On the one hand I wanted to raise awareness of the reportedly six US presidents who come from black heritage (in the very least according to the one-drop rule). But I'm going to be honest here, I have midterms all week, and not much time to do all the research. So instead I'll leave you with a link to the some information, and their pictures are below.

My other option was to quote Barack Obama because he's half-black, and the true definition of an African-American (his father being African and his mother being American). And those of you who know me well know how much it would irk me to quote him, particularly by calling him 'black'. But for the sake of president's day, and since he is the sitting president, I will set aside my biases and quote him nonetheless.

Regarding Kanye West: "He's a jackass." - President Barack Obama

^ A statement I can stand behind.

Presidents with reportedly (although in some cases either not confirmed nor acknowledged) black "roots":
1) Thomas Jefferson  2) Andrew Jackson   3) Abraham Lincoln   4) Warren G Harding  5) Calvin Coolidge
6) Barack Obama





Random basic info on this: http://www.stewartsynopsis.com/Black_presidents.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment