Saturday, May 22, 2010

I am my mother's daughter

The following is an excerpt from the film Spanglish in which a young immigrant girl (who quickly becomes Americanized) is writing to a college admissions board about an experience that defined her life, namely hers and her mother's first year in the US. While spending the first year being taken under a white family's wing, she realizes in the end that she need not be anything more than she already was -- her mother's daughter.

"I've been overwhelmed by your encouragement to apply to your university and your list of scholarships available to me. Though, as I hope this essay shows, your acceptance, while it would thrill me, will not define me. My identity rests firmly and happily on one fact: I am my mother's daughter.
Thank you, Cristina Moreno"

No comments:

Post a Comment