Thursday, April 15, 2010

Girl, me too.

As I've been relearning as of yet, there's this special connection between girlfriends that's of vital importance to survival. If you don't have friends you know will have your back no matter what, what's the point? Girls, be unafraid to be badasses. And now, for this beautiful poem from Sandra Cisneros's Loose Women.

Las Girlfriends
by Sandra Cisneros

Tip the barmaid in tight jeans
She's my friend
Been to hell and back again
I've been there too.

Girlfriend, I believe in Gandhi.
But some nights nothing says it
quite precise like a Lone Star
cracked on someone's head.

Last week in this same bar,
kicked a cowboy in the butt
who made a grab for Terry's ass.
How do I explain, it was all
of Texas I was kicking,
and all our asses on the line.

At Tacoland, Cat flamencoing crazy
circles round the pool
player with the furry tongue.
A warpath of sorts for every
wrong ever wronged us.

And Terry here has her own history
A bar down the street she can't
go in, and one downtown. Me,
a French cafe in Austin
where they don't say--entrez-vous.

Little Rose of San Antone
is the queen bee of kick-nalga.*
When you go out with her,
don't wear your good clothes.

But the best story is la Barbara
who runs for the biggest kitchen knife
in the house every bad-ass domestic quarrel.
Points it toward her own heart
like some Aztec priestess gone loca.

!ME MATO!**

I tell you, nights like these,
something bubbles from
the tips of our pointy boots
to the top of our coyote yowl.

Y'all wicked mean, a voice at the bar
claims. Naw, not mean. Shit!
Been to hell and back again.
Girl, me too.

* nalga = butt(cheeks)
** me mato = I kill myself

No comments:

Post a Comment